Expungement of Criminal Records

Expungement of Criminal Records


ATTENTION: a new North Carolina law makes it easier for people get things erased or expunged from their criminal record.

If you or someone you know has ever been accused of something in court and a prosecutor dismissed the charge or a judge said not guilty, or if you or someone you know has been found guilty of a non-violent felony or misdemeanor and it has been at least 5 years from the conviction date, you MAY be eligible to have the charges erased from your criminal record. Please note that this does not apply to speeding tickets and other minor traffic offenses. What I am talking about might apply EVEN IF you have already had something erased from your record in the past.

A criminal conviction is public record. A criminal conviction and even a dismissed criminal charge on your record could be seen by employers, friends and family. However, you could have certain convictions and charges expunged from your criminal record.

I am John E. Fitzgerald, attorney at law, and I have more than 20 years of experience defending people charged with crimes, including DWI/DUIs and traffic violations and helping others expunge their records.


Schools, potential employers, leasing agents and the military all have access to your criminal records and can make determinations based on your criminal history. Expunging your record could open doors for you.

Not every conviction can be expunged from your record, but some can. Charges that were dismissed can be expunged from your record, but you have to pursue expungement. I can help you through the process, which can be lengthy and complicated. I can also help expunge some convictions, including some drug crime convictions and juvenile convictions.


At my North Carolina law firm, clients know that my staff and I are committed to providing exceptional customer service. We treat clients with the respect and dignity they deserve and our clients can be sure that we keep their situations confidential. As the only lawyer in my firm, I work my clients throughout their cases. I answer the phone to discuss their issue. I help them decide upon the best course of action, and I represent their interests all the way into the courtroom.

My office is located just four miles from Wake Forest University. As a Wake Forest graduate, I understand the concerns Wake Forest students have, and how those concerns are amplified after a criminal charge or conviction. If you or your child has a criminal charge or conviction on his or her record, contact my office to discuss how expungement could open doors in your future.


If you need representation in a criminal, traffic, DWI or driver's license matter, contact a lawyer who has dedicated his career to providing experienced, knowledgeable representation in these areas. Call John E. Fitzgerald, Attorney at Law, to schedule your consultation. Contact me online, or call me at 336-803-7431 if you are seeking expungement of criminal records in Winston-Salem.